In 1903, a group of 30 or more physicians, members of the young
Bexar County Medical Society,
together with about 30 business and professional men, organized the San Antonio Associated Charities, which in turn initiated construction of a four-story hospital on Dallas Street, the Physicians' and Surgeons' Hospital.
The Baptist Health System was purchased by
Vanguard Health Systems
in 2003. Proceeds of the system's sale were used to establish the
Baptist Health Foundation
of San Antonio. The Foundation funds not-for-profit healthcare services and education throughout South Texas.
Baptist Health System has been recognized as a Solucient 100 Top Hospitals®, and each of the 5 hospitals has earned Accredited Chest Pain Center designation.
The System also includes:
The Northeast Baptist Bariatric Center is a designated “Center of Excellence” by the Surgical Review Corporation and the American Society for Bariatric Surgery.